INFO COVID-19 – 5
6 April 2020
UPDATE OF APRIL 2 2020
CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFIT
The Emergency Care Allowance and the Emergency Support Allowance have been merged to become the Canadian Emergency Benefit (CERB). The CERB has also been integrated into employment insurance to allow workers to apply for benefits at the same counter.
- I lost my job because of COVID-19 ;
- I’m sick ;
- I’m in quarantine ;
- I have to take care of my sick parents ;
- I have to take care of my children ;
- I have no income, but not yet laid off ;
- I am a contract worker with no income ;
- I am self-employed without income ;
- I must have had an income of at least $ 5,000 in 2019 or during the 12-month period preceding the filing of the application.
HOW MUCH WILL I RECEIVE?
- $ 2,000 (taxable) per month for 4 months. It is retroactive to March 15, 2020. It should be paid within 10 days of the request.
HOW TO APPLY?
- The form will be available on April 6, 2020 ; https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
- If you have already applied for employment insurance, you do not need to apply for this new benefit. Your request will be automatically transferred to the CERB and you will be entitled to the sixteen-week period.
3 ways to request the service:
- by accessing My file on the CRA secure portal ; https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html
- by accessing your secure My Service Canada file ;
- by calling a toll-free number equipped with an automated request process.
I DIDN’T APPLY FOR EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BEFORE APRIL 6, 2020?
- You must register with the CRA on April 6, 2020 ;
- The benefits will be 4 months divided into sections of 4 weeks ;
- You must certify that you have no income for 14 consecutive days in the next 4 weeks ;
- You will receive an amount of $ 2000.00 taxable every 4 weeks.
I HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE. AM I ELIGIBLE?
- Yes, if you applied after March 15. The Canada Emergency Benefit will replace the employment insurance you were supposed to receive. You do not need to reapply. Your current request will be converted to a request for the CERB ;
- The benefits will be 4 months divided into sections of 2 weeks ;
- You must certify that you have no employment income for 7 consecutive days in the next 14 days. Then you must certify every 2 weeks that you have no income for 7 consecutive days ;
- You will receive $ 1000.00 every 2 weeks, for a taxable total of $ 2000.00 per month ;
- If you applied before March 15, you will have to wait until your EI benefits have expired. You may subsequently be eligible for the CERB.
I ALREADY RECEIVE EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFITS?
- You will continue to receive your employment insurance benefits. If these end before October 3, 2020, and you still cannot return to work, you can apply for an CERB after your employment insurance benefits have ended.
CAN I RECEIVE OTHER INCOME WHEN I RECEIVE CANADIAN EMERGENCY BENEFIT?
- You must have stopped working due to COVID-19 and be without employment income for at least 14 consecutive days during the initial four-week period. This includes income from paid leave, income from self-employment or the receipt of any employment insurance benefits ;
- For the following benefit periods, you should expect not to receive employment income ;
- You can also apply for the Canada Emergency Benefit if you are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits.