INFO COVID-19 – 4
2 April 2020
At the press conference that took place on April 1, Minister Bill Morneau announced a wage subsidy of 75 % of wages for eligible businesses. This subsidy will be for a maximum of 3 months and will take effect retroactively from March 15, 2020. It will therefore help companies to maintain the employment link with workers.
A summary of the 75 % subsidy :
– It applies to any business that will lose at least 30 % of its revenues due to the economic impact linked to COVID-19 ;
– The assessment of the loss of 30 % of revenues will be made in comparison with the months of March, April and May 2019 ;
– It applies to all types of business – small, medium, large – as well as non-profit organizations and charitable organizations ;
– The subsidy will cover up to 75 % of a worker’s salary with a maximum of $ 846 per week for a maximum of $ 58,700 and is retroactive to March 15, 2020 ;
– The employer must demonstrate that he is trying everything to pay the remaining 25 % to the workers ;
– The employer must make the request every month for 3 months.
The minister’s message to companies is to rehire workers. However, if you are currently laid off, we advise you to apply for the Canadian Emergency Benefit (CEB) or the Employment Insurance benefit to avoid delays unless your employer advises you that he pays your salary.
Note that you cannot receive government benefits and employer income.